Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Little Yellow Rocker

I have a confession to make. I am a dumpster diver.

And it's not so much of a confession, because I don't try to hide it. I've been doing it since college. I blame HGTV, because I used to watch some decorating show with a middle-aged redhead lady who always did a "Trash to Treasure" segment. There is a bit of a thrill that comes from taking something old and gross and turning it into a one-of-a-kind piece.

Behold! The Little Yellow Rocker.

Little yellow rocker

My iPhone has betrayed me. This isn't the first time, either. It's usually in the form of leading me astray via the Google Maps app. Like the time I was supposed to drive to a hotel in Grapevine to take Kennedy a pair of shoes he forgot to pack, and instead of ending up at the hotel, I ended up at a dead-end in a trailer park. And I think there was a cow in the trailer park. So, BIG FAIL, iPhone.

Sorry for the tangent, but that wound still stings.

This time, it has deleted a bunch of photos, including the before photo of that little yellow rocker. So imagine with me now, what it looked like before. It was wooden, and had an old red print cushion on top. There was also a ruffle around the edge of the seat. When you touched the fabric, it literally fell off the chair. Also, this chair used to have arms, but they were missing when I came upon it in my neighbor's trash. That sounds so bad, but seriously, people used to throw away amazing stuff in our old neighborhood.

Kennedy, remember that meat smoker we got for free but then never used because we didn't know how? It was still cool.

The rocker isn't done. The next step is to paint the rocker rails (what are those things called?) green. Then we will have the perfect little child-sized homage to our alma mater in the form of a chair. Sic 'em bears!

Stay tuned for more dumpster diving adventures, because I have at least 2 more projects waiting for me in the garage.

In other news, look what I got for free! Kinda.


My parents got us a Samsung SEW-3030 baby monitor before Campbell was born. I LOVED it. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone, but they actually don't make that model anymore.

Then, this summer, one of the buttons randomly popped off and went missing. So I started calling around and got connected with Samsung's service department. Long story short, they told me I could send in my old monitor and they'd send me a new one for no charge. Score! BUT, they didn't have anymore of my current model, so they would have to upgrade it for me to the SEW-3035 (pictured above.)

So this model is not exactly the same. One new feature is an alarm that goes off with every.single.movement. Kind of annoying. Even more annoying is that it cannot be turned off. It's either vibrate or beep. Vibrate or beep.

It took a couple of days, but we finally figured out to turn the sensor on the camera all the way down, and now it only goes off with his first movement in the morning, which I do not mind at all because I need a little extra help getting up in the morning.

Moral of the story: It never hurts to ask!

Other moral: Samsung has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

No comments:

Blogging tips