Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Buffalo Turkey Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries

Here's a meal that pairs really well with Dr Pepper! Who am I kidding? EVERYTHING pairs well with Dr Pepper. When you have a Dr Pepper addiction.

This meal started when I began to crave Twisted Root Burger. And let's just get this out there - I am not one to make up a recipe and use exact measurements. I tried to use mostly stuff I already had, so make it your own, if Buffalo sauce is your thing.

Buffalo Turkey Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries
I'm not a food photographer and I never claimed to be. Trust me, this tasted delicious.

Burgers:
1. 1 lb ground turkey
2. 1/2 celery stalk - diced
3. 1/2 small onion - diced
4. 1 tbsp minced garlic
5. Bread crumbs (I don't know how much...1/4 cup? 1/2?)
6. 1 egg, beaten
7. Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce (2 Tbsp)
8. Roka Bleu Cheese Salad Dressing
9. Cream cheese
10. Burger Buns

-Mix Ingredients 1-7 in a bowl. 
-Form mixture into burger patties
-Grill burger patties
**NOTE** This is where I got mad, because I remembered how awful ground turkey is to grill. I mean, it falls apart all over the place - it's not pretty. I don't know what the secret is to keeping it firmly together - maybe another egg and more bread crumbs? Next time, I won't try to be so healthy and I'll use beef.

-In a separate bowl, mix equal parts Bleu Cheese dressing and cream cheese. Maybe like 2 Tbsp each? 

-When the patties were done, I layered the burger from bottom to top: Bottom bun, spinach or lettuce, Buffalo sauce, burger patty, Buffalo sauce again, a glob of the Bleu cheese mixture, top bun.

Was it as good as Twisted Root? Probably not, but it satisfied my Buffalo craving. Seriously, whenever we go to a new restaurant, I always always scan for anything with Buffalo sauce on it.

Sweet Potato Fries:
1. 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into fries
2. Olive oil
3. Salt (I used Kosher Salt)
4. Onion powder
5. Garlic powder
6. Paprika

-Preheat oven to 400.
-In a large ziploc bag, put the cut sweet potatoes in and pour olive oil over (a couple of Tbsp.) Sprinkle about a Tablespoon of salt in the bag. Close bag and shake it up so all the potatoes are coated with olive oil. Add more if you think you need it.
-Spread the potatoes out on a baking sheet covered with foil.
-Sprinkle some seasonings over the top if desired. You can skip this all together and it still tastes great. I added #4-6 because I was feeling fancy. Turned out AMAZING. So use whatever you have.
-Cook for 30-45 minutes on 400 or until slightly crispy on the outside. Pay attention, they tend to burn/caramelize if left for too long!

No comments:

Blogging tips