Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I voted

Today is a weird day. Baby C and I just got home from voting (I voted, he didn't, obviously), and we were at the polls for TWO HOURS. My intent was to complain about the wait, but between then and now I am constantly being reminded how incredibly lucky we are.

I was texting Kennedy while standing in line, holding a 20+ pound baby who didn't want to sit in his stroller. So I was also pushing the stroller and trying to keep him entertained. Kennedy said "At least you're aren't dodging bullets," and I thought to myself, easy for you to say. You voted this morning and it only took 45 minutes and you didn't have the boy with you.

Disclaimer: He didn't actually vote.


BUT he was right! (There you go, Kennedy. You now have a record of me saying you were right.) All over the country, people are overcoming insurmountable odds to exercise their right to vote. There are single working parents, people figuring out the new voter ID policies, people affected by Sandy who are having to find a new place to cast their ballot...It's amazing. The USofA has a lot of problems, but I'm proud to be an American today (go ahead and sing that song in your head...sometimes cheesy songs like that make me tear up. There, I said it.)

When I got home, I put the boy down for a nap and I rewarded myself with some Marie Callendar's Razzleberry Pie and coffee.

Now I'm waiting around til Uncle Harry's 4:30 vet appointment, and I'm on poop watch because I have to take a stool sample in. I'm sure no one wanted to know that, but you need to know that sometimes the life of a housewife isn't so glamorous.

And if you're looking for something to listen to on Pandora or Spotify today in celebration of election day, I suggest any and all marches by John Phillips Sousa.

No comments:

Blogging tips