Thursday, August 9, 2012

New House: Master Bedroom & Bathroom

Kennedy might get mad, because I have some ideas for the master suite that will require him to do a smidgen more than he might have originally thought. Look, it's not like these plans are set in stone. The thing is, when I'm sitting around for 2 months in "moving limbo," I have a lot of time to think. And plan. So this is what I've come up with for the master bedroom.
There's really nothing wrong with the room, and I imagine if we left it as is, we would be fine for a long time. BUT, we did that before. Left it as is -- and I want to do something different. (By the way, what the heck is one supposed to do with those random cut-outs near the ceiling? )

So, the walls are in the same color family of what we're thinking, but it's got that faux suede finish, and it's just not doing it for me. We already decided that we were going to use the same color in this bedroom that we used in our old master bedroom, since the old master was still new to us.

(This picture is not very good, lighting wise. But the color of the walls is a dark dark dark grey-brown mud color.)

Ok, but here's the deal. One tiny detail can throw off a whole plan for the room, so now I have choices. Lots and lots of choices. 

Option one is to paint the room the same way as the old master and decorate it the same way and be done with it. Not a bad option, but the room has those huge pitched ceilings.

So it got me thinking that 1) I hate it because it makes the room asymmetrical and that bugs me to no end, and 2) If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. And by that, I mean, draw attention to the very thing that I don't care for in order to make it look like it was on purpose.

AND, it can be done for (almost) nothing.

My idea is to add faux beams OR a planked ceiling - I think the faux beams would come in a little cheaper since we wouldn't be covering the entire ceiling - and I think Kennedy would probably like the rustic look a little more.

Here are pictures to help you visualize:


IF we did the faux wood beams, then I wonder if a lighter color wall/overall aesthetic in the room would be a better choice. That way the beams could stand out more...In which case, we would not be painting the room the same as our old one.

White wood planks have a whole different feel as well, so I don't know how dark mud brown grey what have you color would go with that either.

So that's where I'm at with the master bedroom.

Now, for the bathroom...


Those ceilings are sloped as well...so does that mean it would look better to carry the beams into the master bathroom as well?

I am FOR SURE painting the honey oak cabinets white, and doing one of those frames around the builder-grade mirror that you see all over Pinterest all the time (using crown molding.) Also, I don't mind the color on the walls for now.

Downside to the bathroom: The tiles in the shower and on the tub are a beige color. I think they make epoxy that you can paint over tile...Or it might look ok to me once I paint the vanity. It's not super noticeable in the picture, but in person I noticed right away.

Oh yeah, the lighting fixture above the mirror would more than likely eventually be replaced.

Today, I am thankful to have a handy husband that can do all the things I have planned. And also, a husband that likes to do DIY projects (Pretty please, Kennedy?)

3 comments:

Faux Beams said...

Faux wood beams would look awesome in that room! It is not common for a bedroom to have ceilings that high and having faux beams up there would really show off the height. There are pictures of other rooms here you can see color combos: http://www.owtraditions.com.

dancingrainbows said...

hey, congrats on new home... great ideas

FOR SURE BRING THE BEAMS INTO THE MASTER BATH. JUST A FEW. USE SAME COLOR THEME IN BOTH ROOM SO YOU HAVE THAT GRAND YUMMY FEELING .... THAT FLOW, AS THEY SAY..LOL REALLY SOFT BLUE AND CREAMS AND SHARP WHITE FANTASTIC.
BEST WISHES, SHRAY

Shray friedman's mail said...

FOR SURE USE THE BEAMS IN BATH... GREAT IDEAS

Blogging tips