Friday, November 25, 2011

Necessity is the mother of invention

And my invention was bred from not wanting to spend $100+ on a crib skirt. So I decided, after seeing countless crib skirt tutorials online, that I should make my own. (I realize, yes, I did not invent the crib skirt. I just like the saying.)

After all, most baby bedding has monkeys or frogs on it for boys. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my style. I like things to be a little unique.

Luckily, I was dragging Kennedy to IKEA to get a shelf for the baby's room that will double as our changing table (IKEA hack to follow) and got to browse their wacky fabric selection. I ended up finding a fabric that I thought perfectly complemented the tree wall.

Behold!

I set to work hemming 3 sides of the piece I'd be using for the skirt. That's all I did. I hemmed a piece of fabric. Then I added ties to it so it wouldn't fall off. DONE.

Ironed hems (made it much easier to sew on the machine.)

Finished skirt! With a blanket folded to look like a mattress with a sheet on it, since we have neither yet. Perfect little hiding space for JUNK! Can't wait to push everything under the bed when I feel like I need to clean.

Ribbons sewn onto the top hem of the skirt so I could tie it to the frame.

Cute little dog snuggle blanket that Aunt Amy sent us! This baby will never be deprived of things related to dogs.

Stay tuned for more nursery updates!

Aforementioned crib skirt tutorial links:
Oh yeah, don't let me forget to show you pictures of our new master bedroom! (Just as soon as we get some furniture in there...)

No comments:

Blogging tips